The Hume Freeway is the jewel in the crown of Victoria‘s road network. This arterial runs from the M80 Western Ring Road in Melbourne‘s North, to the New South Wales border at Albury–Wodonga, where the road continues as the A31 to Sydney. This freeway provides an uninterrupted dual–carriageway road along its entire length; after numerous rural city bypasses were constructed. The upgrade project was completed in 1996 with the Wangaratta Bypass section. The freeway was named in 1928 after Hamilton Hume (1797–1873), a famous explorer in the early 19th century who in 1824 (with William Hovell) were the first Eropeans to establish an overland route between Sydney and the newly established colonial outpost of Port Phillip –the original name of Victoria.